“Come and witness the Beauty of Lamut”

Brief History

Lamut, during the 19th century, was a barrio of Kiangan municipality in the old mountain province. Ilocano settlers from Nueva Vizcaya and the Ilocos Province occupied the place that was then known as Mabatobato, a rich pastureland. The settlers were attracted to the place due to its proximity to the Lamut river and the abundance of wildlife. It was because of the abundance of food that the place was called Lamut, which means food in the Ilocano dialect.

As the population increased, a bill was introduced in Congress by then Congressman Luis Hora. On April 5, 1959, by virtue of Republic Act 2111, Lamut formally became a municipality, then composed of only four barrios namely Panopdopan, Payon Bugan (now Nayon), Mabatobato and Hapid. Presently it has eighteen barangays and these are Ambasa, Bimpal, Poblacion West, Poblacion East, Hapid,Lucban, Panopdopan, Mabatobato, Pugol, Salamague, Nayon, Payawan, Pieza, Umilag, Sanafe, Jolowon, and Magulon.

Lamut is located on the southeastern portion of the Ifugao Province, it is the south entry point and serves as the gateway to the famous Banaue Rice Terraces about fifty-three kilometers away and about twenty seven kilometers from Lagawe, the capital town.

Lamut, according to 2010 census, it has a total Population of 26,255and with a land area of 14, 581.25 square kilometer.

The climate of Lamut during the months of December up to the end of April is dy season while wet season is usually during the months of May to the end.

Majority of the people of Lamut speak the Tuwali, Ayangan and Ilocano.

There are various religious sects all over the municipality.

Municipality of Lamut, a fourth class municipality, has many development in terms of Politic- Administrative and Fiscal developments.